Score: Virginia Wesleyan 63, Roanoke 56
Records: Roanoke 6-3 / 2-1 ODAC | Virginia Wesleyan 5-3 / 3-0 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Visiting Virginia Wesleyan topped Roanoke 63-56 in ODAC Men's Basketball action on Saturday afternoon in Salem.
How it Happened
- VWU led 14-13 halfway through the first-half when the Maroons used a 13-3 run, opening up a 26-17 lead on a Dillon Thomas three-pointer at the 6:33 mark.
- The Marlins came back and cut the RC lead to 26-24 before the Maroons scored eight unanswered points to go back up 34-24 with 2:21 to go in the half.
- RC would lead 34-29 at halftime but VWU would open the second-half with a 12-2 run capped by a Percy Burt basket that made the score 43-36 VWU with just under 16 minutes to go in the game.
- The Maroons battled back and scored nine of the next 11 points pushing back in front 46-45 after a pair of Tripp Greene free-throws with 9:39 to play.
- Neither team was able to open up more than a four-point lead over the next few minutes and with the game tied at 56 with just over a minute to go Cory Pelham hit a three-pointer to put VWU up by three.
- RC could not convert on its next offensive possession and the Marlins would hit four free throws down the stretch to seal the game.
- Greene finished with a season-best 15 points, while Josh Freund had 18 for the Maroons and C.J. Miles had 13.
- Tim Fisher had 12 points and 10 rebounds to help the Marlins finish with a 40-30 edge on the glass. Keijon Honore had 12 points as well, while R.J. Nicholson had 11 and Lamont Stewart had 10.
Up Next: Roanoke is off until Dec. 16 when it hosts Methodist at 3:30 p.m.