Nov 27, 2018
Score: Roanoke 79, Southern Virginia 76
Records: Roanoke 4-2 | Southern Virginia 1-4
Location: Lexington, Va.
How it Happened:
- A pair of Freund free-throws helped RC open up a 6-0 lead four minutes into the game.
- Neither team was able to open up more than a four-point lead over the next 10 minutes of action.
- With the score tied at 23, RC put together a 9-4 run, going up 32-27 on a Tripp Greene three-pointer with just over a minute to go in the half.
- A pair of Alec Johnson free-throws tied the game in the final second of the first half to send the teams to the locker room at 32-32.
- The second-half was again tightly contested with a Freund basket making the score 45-39 RC with 14:33 to play.
- With the score 53-51, RC scored seven unanswered points, moving ahead 60-51 after Freund converted a pair of free-throw attempts with 8:12 to go in the game.
- The Maroons were able to add to their lead just a few minutes later when a Dillon Thomas three-point play made it a 71-59 game with 5:21 to play.
- SVU rallied with a 12-2 run to cut the Maroon lead to 73-71 with 1:15 to go in the game.
- That would be a close as the Knights would get as RC was able to convert six free-throws down the stretch to seal the game.
- Freund finished with 32 points and now has 1,029 for his career. Miles had 15 points on the night and now has 1,010 points for his career. Thomas chipped in with 15 points for the Maroons as well. RC shot 27-of-56 (48.2%) from the floor.
- Jamier Cross had 22 points for SVU, while Trey Dill had 14 and Tyler McCreadie had 10. The Knights shot 54.4% for the game, making 24-of-44 shots on the night.
Up Next: Roanoke will take on Averett at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday in the Cregger Center.