Score: Ursinus 72, Roanoke 64
Records: Roanoke 0-1 | Ursinus 1-0
Location: Grantham, Pa.
The Lead: Ursinus knocked off Roanoke 72-64 in the opening game of the 2018-19 season for both teams. It was the opening game of the Messiah College Tournament.
How it Happened:
- A C.J. Miles three-pointer made the score 25-18 Maroons with 7:18 to play in the first-half.
- With the score 25-22, RC scored five unanswered points, pushing in front 30-22 on a Joe Mikalauskas bucket with four minutes to play.
- Ursinus rallied with a 10-0 run to end the half as it was able to take a 32-30 lead into the break following a pair of free-throws from Matt Williams.
- Ursinus then came out and started the second-half by scoring 11 of the first 13 points to take a 43-32 advantage.
- With Ursinus leading 57-37 with 10:32 to go in the game, RC stormed back outscoring the Bears 17-3 over the course of the next eight minutes to pull within six points with 2:12 to play.
- That would be as close as the Maroons would get as the Bears would seal the game down the stretch.
- Josh Freund led RC with 14 points and 16 rebounds. Miles and Mikalauskas each had 11 points in the loss as well. RC shot 43.5% from the field, making 27-of-62 shots from the floor, but was just 5-of-22 from beyond the three-point arc.
- Ryan McTamney finished with a game-high 20 points for the Bears. Bruce Edwards finished with 15 points and Eric Williams had 14 points.
Up Next: Roanoke will face either Clarks Summit or the host Messiah at 1:00 p.m. in the consolation game of the tournament.