Score: Roanoke 84, NC Wesleyan 71 (ot)
Records: Roanoke 2-0, NC Wesleyan 1-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Behind 22 points and 12 rebounds from Joey Miller, Roanoke rallied for an 84-71 overtime win over NC Wesleyan in the finals of the 2017 Dick Leftwich Tournament in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Miller was named most outstanding player of the tournament and was joined on the all-tournament team by C.J. Miles who finished the game with 19 points. Josh Freund also had 24 points and nine rebounds, while Jorden Davis had 12 points and seven rebounds off the bench for RC.
- NCWC was led by all-tournament choice Adrian Moore who had 24 points. Robert Wilson had 17 points, while all-tournament selection A.J. Frye and Chris Braswell each had 14 points in the loss.
- The Battling Bishops jumped out to an early 14-2 lead and would eventually take a 39-28 advantage into the locker room at halftime.
- RC came out in the second-half and cut the NCWC lead to 46-42 on a bucket by Freund with just under 14 minutes to play in the game.
- NC Wesleyan would again build its lead back up to eight points when Wilson connected on a layup with 9:13 left and made the score 57-49.
- Roanoke would then go on a 12-2 run, taking a 61-60 lead following a pair of free-throws from Freund with just over five minutes to go in regulation.
- NCWC would come back and take a four point advantage when a Braswell three-pointer made it a 67-63 game with three minutes left on the clock.
- A three-point play by Miller pushed RC in front 69-67 before layup by Moore with 1:17 to play tied the game. Each team would have the ball down the stretch but couldn't score, sending the game to overtime.
- In the extra frame, RC scored the first six points, going up 75-69 on a Freund bucket. NC Wesleyan would cut it to 75-71, but the Maroons would score eight of the final nine points to secure the win.
Up Next: Roanoke will host William Peace at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday in the Cregger Center.