Score: #1 Lynchburg 3, #5 Roanoke 0
Records: Roanoke 12-8 | Lynchburg 18-3
Location: Lynchburg, Va.
The Lead: Top-seeded Lynchburg knocked off fifth-seeded Roanoke 3-0 in the Semifinals of the 2019 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Field Hockey Tournament on Friday night.
How it Happened
- Lynchburg cracked the scoreboard 5:35 into the match when Maggie Chiappazzi was able collect a deflection off the post and score to make it 1-0 Hornets.
- Lynchburg was able to double its lead with just 2:40 left prior to halftime when Jackie Lerro scored an unassisted goal to make it 2-0.
- The Hornets pushed their lead to 3-0, four minutes into the second-half when Chiappazzi scored an unassisted goal of her own.
- RC attempted to rally in the fourth quarter as the Maroons outshot the Hornets 5-1 and earned five penalty corners, but Lynchburg keeper Laurel Nicks would make three saves to preserve the Hornet lead.
- Lynchburg held a 15-8 edge in shots, while Roanoke led 7-5 in penalty corner attempts.
- Emma Clark made four saves, while Nicks made six stops total.
- Roanoke finishes its season with 12 wins giving its fifth consecutive winning season and ties for the fourth highest win total in program history.