Score: Roanoke 3, Randolph-Macon 2
Records: Roanoke 12-7 / 5-4 ODAC | Randolph-Macon 10-9 / 5-4 ODAC
Location: Ashland, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke traveled to face Randolph-Macon in the quarterfinals of the 2019 ODAC Field Hockey Championships. RC would get an overtime goal to upset the Yellow Jackets and advance in the tournament.
How it Happed:
- The Maroons would strike first, less than five minutes into the matchup, on their first shot of the afternoon. Emilee Wooten slipped a pass through the Macon defense to a waiting Martha Hurley and Hurley deposited the ball into the back of the cage.
- RMC would answer in the waning stages of the first period when Katie Brookman sent a shot on goal. The shot was stopped but the rebound came off behind the defense to the stick of Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres for the equalizer with 1:43 remaining on the clock.
- The score would remain 1-1 going into the break as RC enjoyed a 10-6 shot edge at the half.
- Five minutes into the second half, RMC appeared to take the lead but the goal was disallowed. However, on the ensuing possession another Brookman shot was stopped but Ambrogi-Torres was there for her second score of the game.
- The Yellow Jackets took the momentum, 10-0 second half shot advantage, into the final quarter of play.
- With just under six minutes left on the clock, the RMC keeper tried to clear the ball but Madison Filson sent the ball back into the zone and Lauren Heffron sent a shot past Gatlin Snyder to tie the game at 2-2.
- 3:09 was on the clock when Ambrogi-Torres looked for the hat-trick but Emma Clark made the save, directing the shot just over the cage.
- As the clock entered the final two minutes, the Yellow Jackets beat the RC defense to take the lead, but the goal was waived off by the officials and the score remained tied.
- Clark made another big save with just 1:07 remaining, her 11th of the contest and after one last RMC surge the horn sounded sending the ODAC quarterfinal into overtime.
- 3:30 into the extra frame, Wooten sent a shot past Snyder but the ball hit square off the post, denying Roanoke the game winner.
- Midway through the first overtime period, the Yellow Jackets received a yellow card when Hannah Bunten was knocked to the ground, giving the Maroons a two minute advantage.
- With 2:37 left on the clock, RC took advantage when Kendall Gamble sent the ball down the right sideline and into the RMC zone. Katie Martin sent a pass across the front of the goal to an open Wooten who sent the Maroons into the semifinals with her 18th tally of the season.
- Clark finished with 15 saves as Macon sent 19 of their 25 shots on goal.
Up next: Roanoke will travel to Lynchburg to face the top seeded Hornets on Friday afternoon at 4:30pm in the semifinal round of the 2019 ODAC Field Hockey Championships.