Score: Shenandoah 3, Roanoke 2 (ot)
Records: Roanoke 8-7 / 1-4 ODAC | Shenandoah 11-3 / 4-1 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke dropped a 3-2 overtime decision to Shenandoah on Saturday in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke got on the board just over two minutes into the game when Emilee Wooten was able to get through traffic in front of the SU cage. Wooten's initial shot was saved but she got the rebound and scored to make it 1-0.
- Wooten then help double the RC lead at the 13:10 mark when she again weaved in and out of the Hornet defense and was able to get a shot off that was tipped through the legs of SU keeper Isabella Morande by Hannah Bunten to make it 2-0.
- Shenandoah got on the board midway through the second quarter on a Kelsey Jones backhanded chip shot.
- The Hornets got the equalizer just a minute and a half before halftime when Megan Stevens redirected a pass from Jones to tie the game up.
- SU applied offensive pressure throughout the third quarter, forcing 10 penalty corner chances, but the RC defense held, led by Emma Clark who made eight saves in the quarter to keep it tied.
- With 44 seconds left in the first overtime, Jones was able to slip by the RC defense and backhand a shot just out of the reach of Clark to secure the win for SU.
- Clark had 18 saves for the Maroons, while Madison Filson made a pair of key defensive saves, including one in overtime.
Up Next: Roanoke returns to the field on Wednesday when it travels to Ferrum for a 7:00 p.m. ODAC game.