Score: Roanoke 0 | Washington and Lee 3
Records: Maroons 7-3\4, 0-1 | Generals 4-5, 1-0
Location: Lexington, Va.
The Lead: The Roanoke College field hockey team traveled to face Washington and Lee in their Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) debut. The Generals kept the Maroons off the board as Roanoke fell in their conference opener.
How it happened:
- W&L got just two first period shots but at the 4:19 mark, Tessa Muneses took a pass and beat the defense to take a 1-0 advantage.
- The second quarter would see just one shot each between the two ODAC rivals as the score remaind 1-0 at the break,
- After a quick General score made it 2-0, Roanoke got two good scoring chances in a row. Hannah Bunten had her shot saved by the W&L keeper before Martha Hurley had her attempt block by a defender.
- Roanoke would enjoy an edge on penalty corners, 6-2, but couldn't cut the deficit and with the clock winding down, Washington and Lee added a late score for the 3-0 final.
- Four different Maroons got off shots while Emma Clark went the distance in the cage recording five saves.
Up next: Roanoke starts the ODAC schedule by facing three of the top five teams in the preseason poll. The Hornets of the top ranked University of Lynchburg come to Kerr Stadium on Wednesday at 7pm.