Score: Roanoke 3 | Transylvania 1
Records: Maroons 4-2 | Pioneers 2-4
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: The Roanoke College field hockey team returned to action after an overtime loss less than 24 hours ago. The Maroons used 19 penalty corners to help propel them to a 3-1 victory over Transylvania.
How it happened:
- Roanoke began the afternoon by controlling most of the action in the Transylvania zone. However, Harper Zeitz was awarded a penalty shot and despite trailing 6-3 in shots, the Pioneers would take a 1-0 lead into the second frame.
- The second period would see the field once again tilted in favor of the home team, 3-1 shot edge, and five minutes into the quarter, Katie Martin scored off a rebound shot from teammate Lauren Heffron.
- After the break, the Roanoke offense dominated play as the Maroons would pressure Transylvania for the final 30 minutes. The final two and a half minutes of the third period would prove to be the difference.
- With 2:22 on the clock, Caroline Diehl would take a pass from Emily Gabrielian to give Roanoke the lead. Minutes later, Heffron would add an insurance goal off a penalty shot.
- The Pioneers did not get off a shot in the second half as Roanoke racked up a 26-4 advantage for the game.
Up next: The Maroons will continue their four game home stand with a visit from Wilson College on Tuesday night.
Watch: Diehl's go ahead goal....