Score: Roanoke 2, Centre (18) 3 (OT)
Records: Roanoke 3-2-0 | Centre 7-0-0
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: The Colonels scored quickly and led throughout before Roanoke scored to tie the game and force overtime. In the opening stages of the "fifth" period, Centre netted the game winner against the Maroons.
How it happened:
- Centre would score the game's first goal just over a minute into play. A second score would allow the nationally ranked Colonels to enjoy a 2-0 lead after one period of play.
- Four minutes into the second quarter, Emilee Wooten sent in a shot that was saved, but Martha Hurley was waiting on the rebound and deposited it into the back of the cage.
- The third period would see the visitors enjoy a 5-1 shot advantage but the Roanoke defense kept the score at 2-1.
- With just over three minutes left to play, Roanoke was awarded a penalty shot. Lauren Heffron beat Kristen Mulchay to tie the score and send the game to overtime.
- In the extra frame, the Colonels would control the action in their offensive zone. Emma Clark would record three saves, but the fourth attempt (one vs. one) would get behind the senior as Centre came away with the 3-2 win.
- Clark finished the game with 10 saves while Hurley would lead the offense with three shots on goal.
Up next: It will be a quick turnaround for the Maroons as they host Transylvania at noon tomorrow in Kerr Stadium.