Score: Roanoke 2, Belmont Abbey 1 (ot)
Records: Roanoke 3-1-0 | Belmont Abbey 3-2
Location: Belmont, N.C.
The Lead: Emilee Wooten's overtime strike sent Roanoke to a 2-1 victory over Division II Belmont Abbey on Wednesday afternoon.
How it Happened
- Lauren Delisi scored off a redirected shot off the stick of Samantha Moore to give Belmont Abbey the 1-0 lead with 3:17 to go in the first quarter.
- The game stayed that way through halftime and into the fourth quarter before Roanoke's Lauren Heffron converted a penalty stroke with 12:39 to play in the game.
- The Maroons had a chance to take the lead at the 6:39 mark of the fourth quarter on another penalty stroke but Paige Hines stopped Wooten's attempt.
- Following the close of regulation, the teams moved to a 7-on-7 overtime period. At the 6:59 mark of overtime, Wooten took a penalty-corner pass from Alexis Lester and blasted it from the top of the circle into the cage.
- Roanoke outshot Belmont Abbey by a 23-18 margin after facing an 11-0 deficit after the first quarter.
- Emma Clark made five saves for RC in the win.
Up Next: Roanoke is back home on Saturday against Centre at Noon.