Score: Roanoke 2 | Denison 1 | OT
Records: Roanoke 2-0 | Denison 1-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Emilee Wooten's goal just 1:39 into the overtime period helped Roanoke secure a 2-1 win over Denison.
How it Happened:
- Wooten found the back of the cage after going around a Denison defender to move inside the circle and scored off a shot into the left side of the cage.
- Denison, which advanced to the NCAA Tournament last season, forced the overtime period with a goal from Charlotte Happel at the 68-minute mark to make it 1-1.
- After a scoreless first half, the Maroons got on the board as Stacey Staley scored off a pass from Wooten following a penalty corner to take a 1-0 lead 44 minutes into the game.
- The Roanoke defense kept the Big Red off the board throughout the first half, highlighted by a blocked shot by Kaylin Stenson 13 minutes into the contest and a diving save from Emma Clark with 2 minutes left in the first. Clark made eight total saves on the day in goal.
- Denison held a 16-7 edge in shots and took 11 of the 18 corners on the day.
Up Next: Roanoke hosts St. Mary's on Saturday, Sept. 15 in a 12 p.m. match-up at Kerr Stadium