Score: Roanoke 1 | Virginia Wesleyan 2 (2 OT)
Records: Roanoke 8-2 (2-1 ODAC) | Virginia Wesleyan 3-7 (1-2 ODAC)
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
The Lead:The Maroons fell 2-1 in a double overtime battle at Virginia Wesleyan Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened:
- Shelbi Holloman gave Roanoke a 1-0 lead 21 minutes into the game off a breakaway, assisted from Rebecca Schmidt.
- The Maroons held the Marlins scoreless through the next 46 minutes of play before Karleigh Warren tied the game with a goal with under three minutes left in regulation.
- Holloman fired a shot off a penalty corner that hit the post five minutes into the first overtime period, leaving the score tied 1-1.
- Wesleyan scored the final goal in at the 97:01 mark of the second overtime off a loft pass, securing the 2-1 victory.
- Roanoke owned a 15-4 advantage in shots and a 15-2 advantage in penalty corners.
- With her first half goal, Holloman now has 16 season and 50 career goals, she is just two shy from tying the program record of 52.
Up Next: Roanoke returns to action Sunday, Oct. 9 against CNU in a 1 p.m. match-up in Newport News, Va.