Score: Roanoke 5, Wilson 0
Records: Roanoke 8-1 | Wilson 4-5
Location: Chambersburg, Pa.
The Lead: Katerina DeSimone had a goal and an assist and Shelbi Holloman added a pair of goals as Roanoke topped Wilson 5-0 on Tuesday afternoon in field hockey action.
How it Happened:
- The victory improves the Maroons to 8-1 on the season which marks the best start to a season since 1999.
- Roanoke wasted no time getting on the board with Emily McQueen getting an unassisted goal just two minutes into the contest,
- DeSimone struck less than three minutes later when she was set up by a Megan Diehl pass to double the RC lead at 2-0.
- Holloman got her first goal of the game at the 11:34 mark when Kaylin Stenson fed a pass to the left side that Holloman put in the back of the cage to make it 3-0.
- The game remained that way until the 46th minute when Rebecca Schmidt made it 4-0 with a goal.
- DeSimone then set up Holloman for a goal in the 62nd minute that made it 5-0 Maroons and gave Holloman her 15th goal of the year and the 49th of her career leaving her three shy of tying the Roanoke program record.
- Holloman's 15 goals ties her career-high for a season just nine games into the year. She scored 15 goals in 18 contests in 2015.
- RC outshot Wilson 17-3 and held a 14-9 edge in penalty corners.
- Heather Schauder earned the shutout, making three stops in the win.
Up Next: Roanoke will be back in action on Saturday when it travels to Virginia Wesleyan for a Noon ODAC game.