Score: Roanoke 7, Transylvania 1
Records: Roanoke 6-1, Transylvania 1-7
Location: Lexington, Ky.
The Lead: Shelbi Holloman scored four goals to lead Roanoke to a 7-1 non-conference road win at Transylvania Sunday afternoon in Lexington, Ky.
How it Happened
- Holloman got RC on the board just under 11 minutes in to the contest when she scored an unassisted goal to make it 1-0.
- Holloman then scored again at the 22:39 mark before Emily McQueen notched a goal just under two minutes later to make it 3-0 Maroons.
- Holloman then capped her first-half hat trick less than two minutes after McQueen's goal to send RC to the intermission up 4-0.
- Holloman's final goal of the day came three minutes into the second-half that made it 5-0 before Katernia DeSimone and Kestrel Thorne-Kaunelis capped the scoring for Roanoke.
- Heather Schauder made one save in the cage before giving way to Emma Clark who made six stops in 31 minutes of action for Roanoke.
- RC held a 25-11 edge in shots and 7-3 in penalty corners.
- Holloman becomes the third Maroon in school history with at least four goals in a game and the first RC player to do so since Rachel Flint scored five times in a win over Sweet Briar in 2003.
- Holloman's four goals now gives her 44 for her career, vaulting her past Allison Ferguson (1983-86) for second most all-time in RC Field Hockey history. Karen Spicer (1987-90) is the program's all-time leader with 52 career goals. Sunday's barrage of goals also helped Holloman become just the second Maroon to break the 100 career point mark. Holloman has 102 career points which is 20 points shy of Spicer's school record.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Saturday when it hosts Eastern Mennonite at 2:30 p.m. in Salem.