Score: Roanoke 5 | Randolph-Macon 2
Records: Roanoke 4-0 (1-0 ODAC) | Randolph-Macon 1-6 (0-1 ODAC)
Location: Roanoke, Va. | Kerr Stadium
The Lead: A second half surge led Roanoke to a 5-2 win over Randolph-Macon in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference opener Saturday afternoon at Kerr Stadium.
How it Happened:
- Sophomore goalkeeper Heather Shauder recorded five saves, with three coming just over four minutes apart, to keep the Yellow Jackets off the board in the first half. Shauder tallied six saves on the day.
- Rebecca Schmidt broke the deadlock just 42 seconds into the second half with an unassisted goal, putting the Maroons up 1-0.
- Roanoke doubled its score as Kaylin Stenson fed Caroline Peterson who found the back of the cage.
- Katerina DeSimone scored what proved to be the game winner, assisted by Shelbi Holloman, at the 47:23 mark, making it a 3-0 game.
- The Maroons tacked on the fourth goal as Katerina DeSimone assisted Fiona Dougan on a cross pass.
- Holloman scored RC's final goal of the game with ten minutes left in the contest for a 5-0 lead.
- Randolph-Macon broke the shutout with a pair of goals in the final five minutes before Roanoke took the win 5-2.
- RC outshot R-MC 21-12 on the day and held a 11-6 edge in penalty corners.
Up Next: Roanoke hits the road on Tuesday Sept, 20 for a midweek match-up at Hood College at 4 pm.