Score: No. 4 Virginia Wesleyan 2, No. 2 Roanoke 1
Records: Roanoke 21-18 | Virginia Wesleyan 22-16
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Fourth-seeded Virginia Wesleyan clipped second-seeded Roanoke 2-1 in an elimination game of the 2019 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Baseball Championship.
How it Happened:
- In the Roanoke first inning, Scott Ellis led off with a walk and moved to third on a throwing error two batters later. Ellis then scored the first run of the game on a Jack Howard groundout.
- With the score tied 1-1 in the ninth inning, Austin Obenour walked to open the inning then moved to third on a Jordan McDonough single. Brady Fallon then delivered an RBI single to give VWU a 2-1 lead.
- Roanoke attempted to rally in the bottom of the ninth when Dean Hermanson singled to open the inning before being lifted for pinch-runner Tyler De Meo. Will Merriken moved De Meo to second with a bunt but that would be a close as the Maroons would get as VWU got the final two outs to seal the game.
- The Marlins Jacob Pilarski went the distance to pick up his ninth win of the season. He stuck out 10 and gave up just four hits.
- Connor Chiulli, Kevin Ledford and Cam Eck combined to allow just three hits on the day and striking out eight.