Score: #2 Roanoke 11 #7 Lynchburg 3
Records: Roanoke 21-16, Lynchburg 19-22
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Baseball earned the series sweep over Lynchburg with an 11-3 win on Sunday in Salem. The Maroons will advance to the ODAC Tournament Final Four May 10-12 at the Salem Red Sox Stadium.
How it Happened:
- With two outs in the top of the first, Gavin Kandrick and Jack Howard both singled to keep the inning going before Robbie Edwards was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Hunter Andrews hit a single to center, scoring two runs and giving Roanoke an early 2-0 lead.
- The Maroons added three more runs in the second off an RBI single from Will Smith and a two-RBI double from Howard to push ahead 5-0.
- A single from Cale Agree in the top of the third scored two more runs and made it 7-0.
- Lynchburg rallied for two runs in the bottom of the fourth off three hits and one Roanoke error, started by a leadoff double from Carson Lane to make it 8-2.
- The Hornets used three singles in the bottom of the sixth, headed by PJ Alvanos, to close the gap to 8-3.
- Roanoke added two runs off four hits in the top of the ninth with RBIs coming from Merriken and Kandrick.
- Kandrick, Scott Ellis, Merriken, and Agee all recorded three hits in the contest while Howard had two.
- Pat Burke earned the win (1-0) allowing just one run off four hits in two innings after replacing starter Connor Chiulli who allowed just two runs in the first 3 2/3 innings. Cam Eck (3) was credited with the save not allowing a single hit in the final three innings.
- Hunter Campbell was tabbed with the loss giving up seven runs off nine hits in the first two innings.
Up Next: Roanoke advances to the final round of the 2019 ODAC Baseball Tournament at the Salem Red Sox Stadium May 10-12. The double-elimination tournament will include four teams. Game times are to be determined.