Score: #2 Roanoke 2 #7 Lynchburg 1
Records: Roanoke 20-16, Lynchburg 19-21
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Cody Shell hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the 12th en route to a 2-1 win over Lynchburg. Roanoke takes a 1-0 lead in the best of three series with the Hornets.
How it Happened:
- Will Merriken hit a one-out single in the top of the 12th inning and moved to second on a wild pitch. With two outs, Will Smith was intentionally walked to put runners on first and second. Shell hit a single to right field, scoring Merriken and earning the win.
- Lynchburg took an early 1-0 lead as Kinston Carson hit a leadoff triple in the top of the second. Avery Combs then lifted a sacrifice fly to center, allowing Carson to score and take the lead.
- After six scoreless innings, Cam Eck retired the Hornets in order in the top of the ninth to keep it at a 1-0 game.
- With one out in the bottom of the ninth, Matt Wojciechowski was hit by a pitch and Gavin Kandrick hit a single. Robbie Edwards then drew a walk with two outs to load the bases. In the next at bat, Hunter Andrews struck out swinging but reached first on a passed ball, allowing pinch-runner Tyler De Meo to score and tie the game at 1-1, forcing extra innings.
- Kevin Ledford earned the win tossing the final three innings and keeping the Hornets to just one hit. Kenny Mackovic started and threw the first six innings, allowing only one run off two hits.
- Merriken led the Maroon offense going 3-for-4 while Jack Howard and Gavin Kandrick were both 2-for-4 on the night.
- Grayson Thurman took the loss for Lynchburg giving up three hits and one run in the final 2 2/3 innings.
Up Next: Roanoke will face Lynchburg on Sunday, May 5 at 1 p.m. in the final day of the best of three series. If necessary, game three will be played 30 minutes after the conclusion of game two.