Score: Guilford 6, Roanoke 5
Records: Roanoke 15-15 / 12-5 ODAC | Guilford 13-20 / 6-11 ODAC
Location: Greensboro, N.C.
The Lead: Guilford used a three-run eighth inning to rally past Roanoke 6-5 on Wednesday afternoon in ODAC baseball action.
How it Happened
- Roanoke got a pair of runs in the second inning when Matt Wojciechowski singled then moved to second on a one out hit by PK Cocolis. Wojciechowski would then come around to score on a Cale Agee RBI single.
- Following a Will Smith single to load the bases, Cody Shell walked to plate Cocolis and give RC a 2-0 lead.
- Guilford made it 2-1 in the fourth inning when Mitchell Stumpo tripled with one out and then scored on a Giovanni Garcia fielder's choice.
- GC loaded the bases with no outs in the seventh inning then took advantage of an RC error to tie the game at 2-2. Later in the inning, Maroons pitcher Kevin Ledford threw a wild pitch allowing Stokes to score and give the Quakers a 3-2 lead.
- Scott Ellis singled to open the Roanoke eighth inning before Wojciechowski and Sam Watson drew walks to load the bases for Agee who hit a double to score all three runners and make it 5-3.
- In the decisive Guilford eighth inning, the Quakers loaded the bases before Dylan Tuttle walked to score Brett Shapcott and make it 5-4. After a Ryan Hill sacrifice fly tied the game, the Maroons committed an error allowing Guilford to score what proved to be the game-winning run.
- Tuttle picked up the win in relief for Guilford. He went 1.2 innings, struck out two and gave up just one hit to improve to 1-0.
- Nick Raulin was saddled with the loss for RC after giving up three runs in the eighth inning. His record now stands at 0-1.
- Ellis, Wojciechowski and Agee all had two hits for RC.
Up Next: Roanoke will be in action on Saturday at Eastern Mennonite in an ODAC doubleheader starting at Noon.