Score: Roanoke 9, Ferrum 7
Records: Roanoke 12-12, 9-2 ODAC | Ferrum 18-9, 9-4 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Baseball defeated Ferrum 9-7 to earn an ODAC win on Wednesday night in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Connor Chiulli struck out Drew Calohan to get out of a bases loaded situation and keep Ferrum scoreless in the top of the first.
- Roanoke scored two runs off a Ferrum error in the bottom of the first inning to take a 2-0 lead.
- With the score 3-1 at the end of two complete, Ferrum rallied for five runs in the top of the third started by back-to-back doubles from Tim Ortega and Kyle Anstice.
- Nick Raulin retired the Panthers in order in the fourth and fifth innings to keep the score 6-3 Ferrum.
- In the bottom of the fifth, Cale Agee hit a two RBI single to left to close the gap to 6-5.
- Roanoke scored four runs in the bottom of the seventh to take the lead at 9-7. Gavin Kandrick started the inning with a double, before Matt Wojciechowski doubled, scoring Kandrick. Will Smith hit an RBI double of his own scoring Wojciechowski. Agee and Smith both scored on wild pitches to close out the scoring.
- Smith with 4-for-5 with two runs scored and two doubles. Wojciechowski was 2-for-3 with three runs scored.
- Fletcher Mazzola retired Ferrum in order in the bottom of the ninth to secure the win and move to 1-0 on the season. In total, Mazzola went three innings in relief and did not allow a hit.
- Will Davis took the loss giving up four runs off three hits to fall to 2-1.
Up Next: Baseball travels to Virginia Wesleyan for a 12 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday, April 6.