Score: Mary Washington 7, Roanoke 6
Records: Roanoke 10-11| Mary Washington 6-9
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
The Lead: Mary Washington rallied for a 7-6 non-conference baseball win over Roanoke on Wednesday.
How it Happened:
- Will Smith wasted no time getting Roanoke on the board as he led the game off with a solo home run to make it 1-0 Maroons.
- Later in the first inning, Gavin Kandrick walked and Will Salva doubled to put runners on second and third. Jack Howard would single with two outs to plate both runners and make the score 3-0.
- In the second inning, the Maroons loaded the bases with one out and Smith would score on a wild pitch to push the lead to 4-0.
- In the Mary Washington third inning, the Eagles cut the lead to 4-2 as they took advantage of an RC error and got an RBI single from David Lambertson to cut the RC lead in half.
- With runners on second and third and one out in the Roanoke fifth inning, Matt Wojciechowski singled to score Howard and Scott Ellis would use an infield single to score Tyler De Meo and extend the RC lead to 6-2.
- The Eagles scored single runs in the fifth, sixth and eighth innings to pull within 6-5.
- In the UMW ninth inning, Lambertson and Christian Hague singled to put runners on first and second with one out. Lambertson would score to tie the game after back-to-back passed balls. Nick Bass then singled home pinch-runner Mikey Flosser to give the Eagles the win.
- Hank Biggs allowed just one hit in 4.2 innings of work in relief to pick up the win and improve to 3-1. Wojciechowski (0-1) was saddled with the loss after giving up three runs in 1.2 innings.
Up Next: Roanoke is on the road this weekend for an ODAC doubleheader at Bridgewater starting at Noon on Saturday.