Score: Tufts 3, Roanoke 0
Records: Roanoke 8-9, Tufts 7-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Tufts took a 3-0 win over Roanoke Thursday evening in non-conference baseball action.
How it Happened:
- Tufts took an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first as a leadoff single and double put runners on second and third for the Jumbos. Casey Santos-Ocampo then lifted a fly ball to left field, scoring Justin Mills before Kyle Cortese doubled to right scoring Day.
- After five scoreless innings, Tufts added another run in the top of the seventh as Santos-Ocampo allowed Will Shackelford to score on a fielders choice.
- Roanoke was held to three hits with Scott Ellis hitting a leadoff single in the bottom of the first. PK Cocolis singled to left in the second and Will Smith hit a single to left in the eighth.
- Smith was 1-for-1 on the day with three walks while Ellis was 1-for-3.
- Three pitchers combined for the win for Tufts with Brent Greeley earning the win allowing only two hits in the first six innings while striking out seven.
- Six different Maroons pitched in the contest with Jamie Handley allowing only two hits with three strikeouts in 2 1/3 innings and Evan Parks giving up only one hit in 2 2/3 innings.
Up Next: Roanoke faces R/V Shenandoah in an ODAC doubleheader on Saturday, March 23 at 12:30 p.m. in Salem