Score: Roanoke 6, Guilford 4
Records: Roanoke 8-8 / 5-0 ODAC | Guilford 7-13 / 1-4 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke topped Guilford 6-4 in a midweek ODAC game.
How it Happend
- Guilford got on the board first when Bryce Vestal opened the fourth inning up with a solo home run to right field to make it a 1-0 game.
- After the first two batters were retired in the Roanoke fifth inning, Scott Ellis and Will Smith singled to put runners on first and second base. Cody Shell followed with a triple to score both and give RC the lead.
- Gavin Kandrick then singled home Shell and made the score 3-1 Maroons.
- Guilford responded with a two-out rally of its own in the sixth inning when Mitchell Stumpo doubled and scored on a Giovani Garcia single that made it 3-2. Brett Shapcott followed with a bloop single to plate Garcia and tie the game 3-3.
- Dean Hermanson led off the Roanoke sixth inning with a triple and with one out came home after Will Salva struck out but Guilford committed an error when attempting to complete the out at first base.
- Salva went to second on the error and would later score on a wild pitch to put the Maroons up 5-3.
- With the score 5-4, Guilford threated in the top half of the eighth inning putting runners on first and second with one out but Kevin Ledford got the final two outs to preserve the lead.
- Ledford would then set the side down in order in the ninth to get the save for Connor Chiulli (2-0) who went five innings to pick up the win.
- Zach Dinkins (0-2) took the loss for Guilford after giving up five runs over 5.2 innings of work.
- Shell and Kandrick led RC with two hits each.
Up Next: Roanoke added a game for Thursday night when it will hosts Tufts at 7:00 p.m. at Kiwanis Field in Salem.