Score: Greensboro 6, Roanoke 4
Records: Roanoke 7-8, Greensboro 6-11
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Greensboro rallied for four runs in the top of the ninth to take a 6-4 decision over Roanoke on Tuesday evening,
How it Happened:
- The Pride rallied for four runs in the top of the ninth with a leadoff walk, a single and another walk to load the bases. With one out, Hunter Curtis hit an infield single to make it 4-3. A bases-loaded walk evened the game at 4-4. Scotty McGuire then hit a single to right field to score two runs and give GC a 6-4 lead.
- In the bottom of the first inning, Will Smith hit a leadoff double before Will Merriken hit a double to left center, scoring Smith and evening the game at 1-1
- In the top of the second, the Pride strung together three singles to score one run and make it 2-1.
- With the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the third, Will Salva lifted a fly ball to center scoring Jack Howard to tie the game.
- Salva made it 3-2 in the bottom of the fifth with a sacrifice fly to center, plating Cody Shell who hit a triple to start the inning.
- Sam Watson extended the gap to 4-2 with a two-out double down the right-field line allowing Gavin Kandrick to score in the bottom of the eighth.
- Defensively, Smith had nine putouts in right field, including a diving catch to close out the seventh and a foul fly out in the ninth.
- Howard was 2-for-4 and Smith was 2-for-5 for the Maroons. Ethan Delahunty took the loss giving up four runs off three hits in the ninth.
- For GC, Price, Hunter Curtis and Cameron Peters all recorded two hits in the contest. Chenzo Scanio earned the win allowing one run off two hits in 2 2/3 innings before Joseph Hoelle earned the save by retiring the Maroons in order in the bottom of the ninth.
Up Next: Baseball takes on Guilford on Wednesday, March 20 at 6 p.m. in Salem.