Score: Roanoke 6, Averett 0
Records: Roanoke 5-7, Averett 3-16
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Connor Chiulli shut out Averett allowing only three hits in a complete game performance Wednesday night in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Chiulli kept the Cougars hitless through the first 5 1/3 innings and only allowed a single hit in three separate innings to secure the win. He did not walk a batter and struck out five.
- Roanoke got on the board in the bottom of the second as PK Cocolis was hit by a pitch, Cale Agee singled on a bunt and Cody Shell walked to load the bases. With two outs, Cocolis then scored on a wild pitch to take a 1-0 lead.
- Will Merriken tacked on two more runs in the Roanoke fourth inning with a single to center, scoring Agee and Joe Kitlas to extend the lead to 3-0.
- Will Salva singled through the left side and Jack Howard reached on an error before Salva scored on a wild pitch to make it 4-0 through five complete.
- With runners on second and third in the bottom of the sixth, Will Smith hit a single to left field scoring Shell and Agee to make it a six-run game.
- Merriken was 2-for-4 with 2 RBI and Salva was 2-for-5 with 2 RBI to head the Maroon offense.
- For AU, Cole Spain was tabbed with the loss giving up two runs off three hits and walking five in the first four innings.
Up Next: Baseball heads to Washington and Lee on Saturday, March 16 to take on the Generals in an ODAC doubleheader beginning at 12 p.m.