Score: Southern Virginia 3, Roanoke 1
Records: Roanoke 4-7, Southern Virginia 8-2
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: SVU used an early lead to take a 3-1 decision over Roanoke in non-conference action.
How it Happened:
- Southern Virginia jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first as Jordan Nase reached on an error before Cole Critchfield knocked him in with a ground out to first.
- The Knights scored what proved to be the game-winner as Canon Anderson was hit by a pitch, Ryan Morin walked before Jonathan Soto drove Anderson in with a single to left to make it 2-0.
- With the score 3-0 SVU in the bottom of the eighth, Will Smith led off with a walk, Scott Ellis hit a double to left and Cody Shell walked to load the bases with no outs. Will Merriken lifted a sacrifice fly to right to score Smith. The Knights retired the next two batters to keep the game at 3-1.
- SVU was led by Morin who went 2-for-3 while Critchfield had 2 RBI. Six Knights combined for the win allowing only three hits on the night, Matt Rolls earned the save giving up no runs and no hits in the final two innings.
- Ben West was tabbed with the loss giving up two runs off three hits in three innings. Nick Raulin replaced West and allowed only two hits and no runs while striking out three in three complete innings.
Up Next: Roanoke hosts Averett on Wednesday, March 13 at 7 p.m. at the Salem Red Sox Stadium.