Score: LaGrange 7, Roanoke 4
Records: Roanoke 2-6, LaGrande 10-4
Location: LaGrange, Ga.
The Lead: Roanoke dropped a 7-4 non-conference game to LaGrange Wednesday afternoon on the road.
How it Happened:
- Scott Ellis walked and Cody Shell singled to start off the game for the Maroons in the top of the first. Will Merriken lifted a sacrifice fly to center to score Ellis and give RC an early 1-0 lead.
- LaGrange evened the game at 1-1 with a double from Cael Chatham and an RBI single from Joe Ruth in the bottom of the first
- Jack Howard singled to lead off the second inning and advanced to third on two straight wild pitches before Will Smith drew a walk. Ellis then singled to right field, scoring the duo and giving RC a 3-1 lead.
- LaGrange scored four runs off four hits in the bottom of the fifth to take the lead and make it a 6-3 game. EJ Churchich hit a two-RBI double followed by an RBI single from Trey Pearce. Jack Layrisson hit a sacrifice fly to left field to close out the scoring in the inning.
- Roanoke responded with a leadoff single from Merriken in the top of the sixth. Smith hit a single through the left side to score Merriken and close the gap to 6-4 but that was as close as the Maroons would get.
- Waring Garber was tabbed with the loss, giving up two runs off three hits in 1.3 innings.
- Six Panther pitchers combined for the win allowing nine hits on the day. Spencer Douches was credited with the save allowing just one hit in the final inning.
- For the Maroons, Merriken was 2-for-2 with one RBI, Smith was 2-for-3 and Ellis was 2-for-4 with two RBI.
Up Next: Baseball opens conference play with a home doubleheader against Hampden-Sydney on March 9 beginning at Noon.