Score: Roanoke 8, Averett 1
Records: Roanoke 1-2, Averett 1-8
Location: Danville, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke defeated Averett 8-1 on the road Tuesday afternoon in non-conference baseball action.
How it Happened:
- With runners on first and second in the top of the second, Matt Wojciechowski singled through the right side to score Jack Howard and get Roanoke on the board (1-0). In the next at-bat, Sam Watson hit a sacrifice fly to plate Will Merriken before Wojciechowski scored to make it a 3-0 game.
- In the fifth, Roanoke extended its lead on an RBI single from Gavin Kandrick and a sacrifice bunt from Merriken, making it 5-0.
- After scoring a lone run in the top of the seventh, the Maroons tacked on two more runs in the eighth off an RBI single from Merriken, scoring Howard and Will Salva. Both Howard and Salva reached on back-to-back singles with two outs.
- Averett got on the board in the bottom of the ninth from a one-out double from Tyler Bianco and an RBI single from Ryan Traylor, but Pat Burke recorded a strikeout for the final out, sealing the win.
- Waring Garber earned the win allowing only two hits in two innings of work. As a staff, Roanoke allowed only six hits on the day, highlighted by four innings where they held the Cougars to no hits.
- Merriken led the way going 2-for-4 with three RBI while Wojciechowski was 2-for-4 with two RBI.
- Traylor was 2-for-4 on the day and Matt Tuggle was tabbed with the loss for the Cougars giving up three runs off two hits in two innings.
Up Next: Roanoke travels to Emory for a pair of games March 2-3 in Atlanta, Ga.