Score: No. 13 Roanoke 5 | Emory & Henry 3
Records: Roanoke 24-7, 13-3 ODAC | Emory & Henry 11-16, 4-11 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: No. 13 Roanoke scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth en route to a 5-3 ODAC win over Emory & Henry Wednesday night.
How it Happened:
- Emory & Henry scored two runs in the top of the first inning following a lead off double from Holden Watkins and a single from Daulton Horne. Ben Sexton plated Watkins and Carson Bryant brought home Sexton with an RBI single to center field to take an early 2-0 lead.
- Roanoke responded with two runs of their own in the bottom half of the inning as Sean Guida reached on an error to kick off the inning. Cody Shell ripped a triple to center to score Guida. Jack Howard followed suit with a single up the middle to tie it at 2-2.
- The Wasps scored one run in the top of the fifth off two hits, one Roanoke error and back-to-back singles from Zach Smith and Josh Macek to take a 3-2 lead.
- Shell singled through the left side to start off the bottom of the eighth. Howard drove in Shell with a double to left center to make it 3-3. Sam Watson followed with a single through the right side to score Howard for what proved to be the winning run. Gavin Kandrick kept the inning going with an RBI single to extend the lead to 5-3.
- Ross French reached on a single to start off the top of the ninth to bring the tying run to the plate with no outs. Sal Trancucci replaced Cam Eck and struck out the first batter he faced for the first out of the inning. The Maroons defense then turned a double play to secure the win.
- Shell, Ellis and Watson led the way all going 2-for-3 with Howard recording two RBI.For E&H, Horne and Macek both went 2-for 3 while Carson Bryant went 2-for-4.
Up Next: Roanoke hosts Washington and Lee in a doubleheader on Saturday at 12 p.m. at Salem Memorial Stadium