Score: No. 13 Roanoke 15, Greensboro 6
Records: Roanoke 23-7 | Greensboro 16-18
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: No. 13 Roanoke used a season-high 22 hits in a 15-6 win over Greensboro in Salem on Tuesday night.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke scored two runs on five hits in the top of the first, including RBI singles from Jack Howard and Sam Watson to give RC a 2-0 lead.
- Sean Guida homered after the first two batters of the second inning were retired to put RC in front 3-0.
- In the fourth inning, RC loaded the bases with one out before Cody Shell used a sacrifice fly to score Gavin Kandrick and Will Salva singled home Scott Ellis to make it 5-0.
- Later that same inning with the bases loaded again, Watson singled to plate Salva and Guida and put RC up 7-0.
- Greensboro rallied in the fifth inning with six runs, including a grand slam by Lincoln Hewett.
- The score stayed that way until the bottom of the seventh inning when Ellis singled with one out then came around to score on a Guida double. After a Shell single, Salva drove in both Shell and Guida to make it 10-6.
- Robbie Edwards doubled later in the inning to score Howard and Watson to make it 12-6, before Edwards came home on a Kandrick single.
- The Maroons tacked on a pair of runs in the eighth on an RBI double by Shell.
- Guida finished 4-for-4 with two RBI and five runs scored, while Salva was 5-for-6 with three RBI. Seven different Maroons had at least two hits in the win.
- Steven Loney got the win for RC in relief to improve to 2-1 on the season. Loney, Cam Eck, Pat Burke and Connor Chiulli combined to allow just four hits after GC pulled to within 7-6 in the fifth inning.
Up Next: Roanoke will be back in action on Wednesday against Emory & Henry at 7:00 p.m. at Salem Memorial Stadium.