Score: No. 4 Roanoke 8, Lynchburg 4
Records: Roanoke 20-4 11-0 ODAC | Lynchburg 12-13 / 5-7 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: No. 4 Roanoke scored an 8-4 mid-week ODAC win over Lynchburg Thursday night in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Lynchburg broke open the scoring taking an early 2-0 advantage off an RBI single from Shawn Allen and an RBI double from Brad Hylton in the top of the first.
- Sean Guida hit a leadoff double in the bottom of the first, advanced to third on a wild pitch and then scored on another wild pitch to close the gap to 2-1.
- Will Salva knocked a grand slam with one out in the bottom of the second to score Will Merriken, Dean Hermanson, and Eli Sumpter and give Roanoke a 5-2 edge and what proved to be the lead for the remainder of the night.
- In the bottom of the fifth, Will Smith and Sam Watson hit back-to-back singles. On a wild pitch, Smith scored from second and Watson moved to third, then scored when LC committed a throwing error trying to get Smith at the plate. Hermanson kept the inning going with an RBI double to plate Merriken and make it an 8-3 game.
- Lynchburg closed the gap with a run in the sixth as Hylton reached on a dropped third strike to start off the inning before moving to third on a Roanoke error. Matthew Stevens then drove in Hylton to make it 8-4.
- Three pitchers closed out the final three innings of the contest led by Ethan Delahunty in the seventh with a three-up, three-down inning. Cam Eck closed the eighth allowing only allowing one hit before giving way to Sal Trancucci who gave up only one hit to secure the win.
- Matthew Franklin picked up the win after going 1.1 innings in relief. Franklin did not allow a base runner en route to improving to 2-0 on the year. Ryan Irby took the loss for LC after giving up five runs in two innings.
- Four Maroons recorded two hits including Hermanson, Sumpter, Salva and Watson.
Up Next: Roanoke is scheduled to host Virginia Wesleyan on Saturday, April 7 in a doubleheader beginning at 12 p.m.