Score: No. 6 Roanoke 9, Emory & Henry 3
Records: No. 6 Roanoke 17-3 / 8-0 ODAC | Emory & Henry 7-8 / 1-6 ODAC
Location: Emory, Va.
The Lead: Sean Guida hit a pair of home runs as No. 6 Roanoke knocked off Emory & Henry 9-3 in ODAC action on Tuesday. The Maroons have now won 13 games in a row.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke wasted no time getting on the scoreboard as Guida hit a solo home run on the second pitch of the game to put RC up 1-0.
- Eli Sumpter followed Guida with a single and would steal second base. Will Salva then walked to put runners on first and second. Jack Howard singled to score Sumpter then Sam Watson plated Salva with a sacrifice fly to make it 3-0.
- Dean Hermanson singled with two-outs to score Howard and push the Maroon lead to 4-0.
- The Wasps got one run back in the first inning when Holden Watkins hit a two-out solo home run to cut the RC lead to 4-1.
- With the score 4-2 in the Roanoke third inning, Robbie Edwards drew a leadoff walk. Watson and Hermanson were then each hit by a pitch to load the bases. Will Smith was walked with one out to bring home Edwards and extend the Roanoke advantage to 5-2.
- In the fourth inning, Howard walked with one out then scored when Edwards doubled. Watson then singled Edwards home to make it a 7-2 game.
- Guida hit a two-out solo home run in the fifth inning to make the score 8-2.
- RC tacked on its final run in the eighth inning when Salva singled home Guida to give RC a 9-3 advantage.
- Forrest Wagner (1-0) got the win for RC after going 2.1 innings in relief. Wagner allowed one run on two hits and struck out two. Noah Griffin (1-2) started for E&H and took the loss after giving up four runs in his one inning of work.
Up Next: Roanoke returns to action on Saturday when it faces Hampden-Sydney in an ODAC doubleheader starting at Noon in Farmville, Va.