Score: Roanoke 8, Shenandoah 5
Records: No. 8 Roanoke 15-3 / 6-0 ODAC | No.16 Shenandoah 10-5 / 2-2 ODAC
Location: Winchester, Va.
The Lead: No. 8 Roanoke used a seven-run fifth inning to top No. 16 Shenandoah 8-5 on Saturday. The victory extends RC's winning streak to 11 games.
How it Happened
- SU got on the board first when it scored three times in the third inning, getting a two-RBI double from Keegan Woolford and a sacrifice fly off the bat of Nick Goode.
- The score stayed that way until the top of the fifth inning when Sam Watson walked to open the inning and moved to second when Dean Hermanson was walked. Gavin Kandrick then was hit by a pitch to load the bases.
- With one out, Sean Guida scored Watson following an infield single. Eli Sumpter made it 3-3 when he followed with a single to score Hermanson and Kandrick.
- Will Salva walked to load the bases again and Jack Howard doubled to plate both Guida and Sumpter and make it 5-3. Watson would cap the inning with a two-RBI single that made it 7-3.
- SU scored a pair of runs in the seventh inning to close the gap to 7-5, but RC tacked on an insurance run in the ninth inning when Will Smith singled home Salva with two outs to extend the RC lead to 8-5.
- Fletcher Mazzola came out of the bullpen and tossed 2.1 innings of relief where he allowed just one hit to pick up the win and improve to 2-0 on the season. Sal Trancucci picked up his second save of the season after allowing just one ninth-inning hit.
- Colin Morse took the loss for SU, going 4.1 innings and giving up seven runs.
- Guida finished 3-for-5 on the day for the Maroons.
Up Next: Roanoke and SU will close out is series tomorrow in Winchester at 2:00 p.m.