Score: No. 8 Roanoke 7, Greensboro 1
Records: Roanoke 14-3 | Greensboro 7-11
Location: Greensboro, N.C.
The Lead: No. 8 Roanoke won its 10th game in a row as the Maroons topped Greensboro 7-1 on Tuesday.
How it Happened:
- The Maroons got a pair of runs in the top of the third inning. After the first two batters were retired, Sean Guida and Eli Sumpter hit back-to-back singles. Both would score on an RBI double off the bat of Will Salva that made the score 2-1.
- RC made it 3-1 in the fifth when Will Smith singled to open the inning then stole second base. Smith moved to third on a Guida groundout and scored on a Sumpter single.
- In the RC seventh inning, Dean Hermanson was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. Hermanson went to second base on a wild pitch and would steal third base. Sumpter delivered a two-out single to score Hermanson and make it a 4-1 game.
- Later that inning, the Maroons took advantage of a two-out error by The Pride that allowed Sumpter to score and make the score 5-1.
- RC scored a pair of insurance runs in the top of the eighth inning when Sumpter got Scott Ellis home on a bunt and Guida scored later on a wild pitch.
- Four Maroon pitchers combined to give up seven hits. Pat Burke got the win after going 1.2 innings in relief and giving up just two hits.
- Sumpter was 4-of-5 on the day, while Salva had two hits for RC.
Up Next: Roanoke was slated to play Guilford in an ODAC game tomorrow in Salem but that has been postponed.