Score: No. 14 Roanoke 7, Bridgewater 3
Records: Roanoke 9-3 / 1-0 ODAC | Bridgewater 10-4 / 0-1 ODAC
Location: Bridgewater, Va.
The Lead: No. 14 Roanoke scored four runs in the top of the ninth inning to break open a tied game and go onto a 7-3 win in game one of the ODAC doubleheader.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke got on the board in the third inning when Sam Watson singled to open the inning and would later advance to third on a throwing error by BC pitcher Tristan Daywalt. Eli Sumpter followed with a walk and would then steal second base to put runners on third and second.
- Dean Hermanson then singled to plate Watson and Sumpter would score to make it 2-0 when Hermanson's ball was misplayed in the BC outfield. Hermanson would score two batters later when Will Merriken delivered a two-out RBI single to make it 3-0.
- The score remained that way until the Bridgewater sixth inning when Jake Bailey doubled to move Jacob Talley to third with two outs. Jacob Grabeel then followed with a single to plate both runners and make it a 3-2 game.
- BC tied the game in the home-half of the eighth inning when Kevin Navedo doubled home Will Clift with two outs to knot the game at 3-3.
- In the decisive ninth inning, the Maroons would load the bases with no outs when Gavin Kandrick walked, Sean Guida was hit by a pitch and Scott Ellis reached on an error. Back-to-back walks issued to Merriken and Jack Howard put RC in front 5-3.
- Later in the inning, Will Salva used a sacrifice fly to score Ellis before Merriken came home on a balk to put RC ahead 7-3.
- Sal Trancucci picked up the win after going the final 1.2 innings in relief, allowing just one hit to even his record at 1-1 on the year. Matthew Franklin got the start for RC and went six innings, scattering seven hits and giving up just two runs, while striking out four.
Score: No. 14 Roanoke 6, Bridgewater 5
Records: Roanoke 10-3 / 2-0 ODAC | Bridgewater 10-5 / 0-2 ODAC
Location: Bridgewater, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke earned a sweep of the doubleheader with a 6-5 win in game two.
How it Happened
- In the Roanoke third inning, Will Smith singled to open the inning. After the next two batters were retired, Merriken doubled Smith home to make it 1-0 Maroons. Salva then doubled to plate Smith and Howard would single to score Salva and make the score 3-0.
- Roanoke got a pair of runs in the sixth inning when Hermanson singled to open the inning then with one out went to second on a wild pitch and third on a passed ball. Guida would drive him home with a single to put RC in front 4-0.
- Later in the inning, Ellis reached on a fielder's choice, stole second and scored on a Merriken single to push the RC lead to 5-0.
- BC took advantage of a pair of Roanoke errors to score a run in the bottom of the sixth inning to make it a 5-1 game.
- RC tacked on a run in the top of the seventh inning when Smith drove home Sumpter who had singled to reach base earlier in the inning.
- Bridgewater rallied for three runs in the eighth inning, cutting the RC lead to 6-5 on a Cameron Stanley homerun.
- The Eagles put the tying run on base in the ninth inning, but Kevin Ledford got a groundout to end the game and seal the win for RC.
- Ledford (1) saved the game for Ben West (2-1) who started and went 5.1 innings and allowed just one run on five hits, while striking out six.
Up Next: RC will stay in ODAC play when it travels to Lynchburg on Wednesday for a 3:00 p.m. game.