Score: No. 16 Roanoke 9, Ferrum 4
Records: Roanoke 8-3 | Ferrum 4-10
Location: Ferrum, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke ran its winning streak to four games with a 9-4 non-conference win at Ferrum on Monday night.
How it Happened
- In the Roanoke first inning, Sean Guida led off with a single and moved to second when Scott Ellis followed with a single to put runners on first and second.
- Will Salva then singled to score Guida to make it 1-0 and move Ellis to second base.
- Ellis would steal third and eventually score on an Eli Sumpter RBI single to push the RC lead to 2-0.
- Ferrum came right back in its first at-bat, tying the game following a Tim Ortega RBI double and an RBI single by Scott Breeden.
- Roanoke regained the lead at 3-2 in the third inning when Will Merriken doubled to start off the inning, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt from Jack Howard and would score on a Sumpter RBI groundout.
- Guida doubled to open the fourth inning and would go to third on an Ellis bunt. With two outs, Merriken singled up the middle to put RC in front 4-2.
- Roanoke struck for four runs in the visitor half of the seventh inning to take an 8-2 lead. The Maroons loaded the bases before Gavin Kandrick and Will Smith each drove in runs with fielder's choice RBIs. Guida then connected for a two-out single to score Smith and Kandrick and make it 8-2.
- RC tacked on a run in the ninth inning when Sumpter tripled to lead off the inning and would score on a one-out sacrifice fly off the bat of Dean Hermanson.
- Connor Chiulli (1-1) got the win after coming out of the bullpen and tossing 2.1 innings and allowing just three hits.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Saturday when it opens ODAC play with a doubleheader at Bridgewater. Game one is slated to start at Noon.