Score: No. 17 Roanoke 3, No. 1 Cortland 1
Records: Roanoke 3-1 | Cortland 2-2
Location: Salem, Va. | Kiwanis Field
The Lead: Three Roanoke pitchers combined to surrender just four hits as the No. 17 Maroons topped No. 1 Cortland 3-1 Friday evening in Salem.
How it Happened
- Matthew Franklin started the game and went 4.2 innings and gave up one run on two hits while striking out three. Cam Eck came in and tossed 2.2 innings. Eck did not give up a hit and struck out one to pick up the win. Sal Trancucci went the final 1.2 innings to pick up the save.
- Trailing 1-0, Roanoke would get all the runs it would need in the bottom of the second inning. Cale Agee started the rally with a leadoff walk.
- With one out, Agee moved to second on a single by Gavin Kandrick and each would advance a base when the next batter, Cody Shell, reached on an error. Agee scored when Cortland misplayed a ball off the bat of the next batter Sean Guida.
- Sam Watson then delivered a single to right field that scored Shell and Kandrick to make it a 3-1 game.
- Cortland threatened to score in the visitor half of the seventh inning when with two outs and a man on first, Colin BeVard hit a long fly ball to the right-field wall that Guida was able to make a spectacular leaping catch on to preserve the RC lead.
- In the Cortland ninth inning, Garrett Heaton walked to open the inning then went to second on a single by Justin Teague. Each runner then moved up a base on a sacrifice bunt.
- Trancucci struck out Joe Tardif for the second out, before issuing a walk to the following batter to load the bases.
- Trancucci then got Paul Dondero to ground into a fielder's choice to secure the win for the Maroons.
- This marks the second win for the Roanoke program over a No. 1 team. RC topped then No. 1 LaGrange on May 20, 2017, during the NCAA South Regional.
Up Next: Roanoke is slated to take on Dickinson on Saturday at home in a doubleheader. Game time is set for Noon.