Score: Roanoke 9, Ferrum 7
Records: Roanoke 22-12 | Ferrum 22-18
Location: Ferrum, Va.
The Lead: The Roanoke College Baseball Team earned a 9-7 non-conference win at Ferrum on Thursday night.
How it Happened
- Roanoke went up 1-0 in the top of the first inning thanks to a two-out RBI single from Dean Hermanson that scored Sean Guida, who had led the inning off by being hit by a pitch.
- Ferrum came right back in the home half of the first, loading the bases and scoring on a walk and a hit by pitch to take a 2-1 lead.
- RC retook the lead in the top of the second on an RBI ground out from Guida that plated Ross Strickland and an RBI single by Scott Ellis that scored Devin Cassity to put the Maroons up 3-2.
- Roanoke scored four runs in the fourth inning including a three-run home run from Collier Donald that put RC out in front 7-2.
- Ty Comer had a two-run home run with two outs in a Ferrum sixth inning that saw the Panthers score four times to cut the Maroon lead to 7-6.
- In the RC seventh, Donald was hit by a pitch to start the inning then scored when Hermanson followed with a double to make it 8-6. A Will Black sacrifice fly later in the inning plated Hermanson to make it 9-6.
- Connor Chiulli got his first win of the season after going five innings, giving up two runs on four hits. Owen Grayson picked up the save for Roanoke. Hunter Peck took the loss for Ferrum, dropping his record to 6-2.
Up Next: Roanoke will be back in action Friday in an ODAC doubleheader at Washington and Lee at 3:00 p.m.