Tournament: 2017 Bluefield College Invitational
Date: September 8-10
Location: Bluefield College
The Lead: Women's Tennis competed in the Bluefield College Invitational this past weekend to kick off the 2017 fall season.
- Catherine Lee and Madeline Herring beat the duo of Wilkerson/Scott 9-7 in flight one. Janny Alvarado and Carolyn Kitsock followed suite in flight two with an 8-6 win over Josey/Christol.
- In flight three of the double round, Kelly MacCluen and Arabella Goralski earned an 8-4 win over Watkinson/Beris in round one. Tracy Kile and Nicole Rajner defeated Watkinson/Beris 8-2 in round two.
- Lee defeated Mariah Barnette 7-6; 6-1 to advance to the consolation final in flight one. Lee then defeated Jessica Kennedy 3-6; 6-2; 10-2 to win the consolation final.
- Tracy Kile kicked off flight two with a 6-0; 6-1 win over Brooklyn Scott before falling to MyKenzie Roach in the semifinals 1-6; 3-6.
- In No. 2 singles Avery Smith was another finalist for Roanoke. Smith defeated Kelly Combs 7-5, 6-0 before defeating Valese Wilkerson 6-4, 7-5 to advance to the finals.
- Kitsock won the consolation final with a 6-0; 6-2 win over Scott and an 8-4 win over Alvarado. Alvarado defeated Katie Combs 3-6; 6-4; 12-10.
- In flight three, Rajner made it to the final match after defeating Kasi Beris 6-4; 2-6; 11-9 and Goralski, who defeated Dani Josey 6-3; 7-5.
- MacCluen won the consolation final following a 6-1; 7-6 (5) win over Beris.