Score: No. 4 Denison 11, No. 17 Roanoke 10
Records: Roanoke 3-1 | Denison 3-0
The Lead: No. 4 Denison held off a second-half rally by No. 17 Roanoke as the Big Red scored an 11-10 win over the Maroons on Sunday.
How it Happened
- Denison scored three first quarter goals, the last coming off the stick of Spencer Butler with 34 seconds left on the clock.
- RC came back with a goal from IV Stucker to start the second quarter scoring before Wyatt Naylor made it 3-2 with 6:31 to go in the half.
- The Big Red would then reel off four goals in the final 5:33 to lead 7-2 at the intermission.
- Brendan Devane made it a 7-3 game with a goal three minutes into the second-half.
- With the score 8-3, RC got goals from Jason Sarro and Hayden Miller to make it an 8-5 game.
- Denison scored the final two goals of the third to take a 10-5 lead into the final quarter.
- With the score 11-6, IV Stucker scored to make it 11-7, then tallied another strike with 3:20 to play to cut the RC deficit to 11-8.
- Miller pulled Roanoke to within two at 11-9 with three minutes to play before Stucker struck again with 2:07 to go to make the score 11-10.
- RC won the ensuing faceoff and Stucker had a chance to tie the game but his shot was turned away by Denison keeper Cole Payfair to preserve the win.
- Stucker finished with four goals and an assist, while Ian Davies made eight saves in the cage for Roanoke.
- Denison held a 32-29 edge in shots and won 15-of-24 face-offs.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Wednesday when it travels to Dickinson for a 5:00 p.m. game.