NCAA Division III World Series
Score: No. 5 Washington & Jefferson 8 | No. 8 Roanoke 1
Records: Roanoke 35-19 | Washington & Jefferson 41-11
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin | College World Series
The Lead: Roanoke closed a historic season Sunday evening at the College World Series in Appleton, Wisconsin. The Maroons were one of four final teams in the NCAA Division lll Championships.
How it Happened
- Washington & Jefferson advanced on the strength of eight runs in the in the first two innings to secure the win.
- Roanoke loaded the bases with no outs on two occasions in the top of the first inning but were only able to push across one run.
- W&J scored five runs in the first inning, highlighted by a bases loaded triple by Mark Merlino. The Presidents then scored three runs in second inning to break the game open.
- Roanoke was led by Will Black who went 3-for-4, while five other Maroons recorded hits in the contest.
- Rawlings Cumbea (2-1) went 1.0 innings while Sal Trancucci went 4.0, Connor Chiulli went 2.2 and Michael Mares went 0.1.
- Roanoke's 35 wins is tied for third most in ODAC history. The Maroons tie Randolph-Macon and Shenandoah's 35 wins from last season. Bridgewater's 36 in 2014 is second, while SU's 41 wins this season is an ODAC best.
- The Maroons became the first team in program history to advance to the College World Series after claiming the its first Old Dominion Athletic Conference and the NCAA South Regional title.
- The 10 man senior class closes its career with a total of 91 wins, setting the program's season-win record in 2016 and then again in 2017.
Postgame Press Conference