Score: Southern Virginia 7 | Roanoke 6
Records: Roanoke 21-11 | Southern Virginia 10-25
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Southern Virginia scored seven runs in the ninth inning to take a 7-6 decision over Roanoke Monday evening in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke scored one run in the third and fifth inning before Ross Strickland hit a two-run home run in the sixth to give RC a 4-0 lead.
- After two scoreless innings, SVU scored seven runs off five hits in the top of the ninth sparked by a single from Ryan Morin. Pinch hitter Skyler Cloward drove in a pair of runs with a single before Alex Burgos tied the game at 4-4 with a two RBI double. Riley Daniels gave SVU the lead with a single to left field plating Burgos. Morin drove in the final runs of the inning with what proved to be a game winning two RBI single, to make it 7-4 SVU.
- Pinch hitter Sam Watson reached on a Knight error to start off the bottom of the ninth. Watson then scored on a wild pitch three batters later to close the gap to 7-5. Will Decker lifted a sac fly to right to score Devin Cassity and make it a one run ball game but the Maroons were unable to push another across as Tanner Black took the mound for the final out and give SVU the win.
- Dean Hermanson went 3-for-4 while Cassity and Sean Guida both went 2-for-4. Ian Schweppe (1-1) took the loss after giving up two runs off two hits.
- Michael Stirling got the win and Black earned the save allowing no runs and two hits in the final inning. Moris and Daniels each recorded a team-best three hits for the Knights.
Up Next: Roanoke hosts Guilford Tuesday at Salem Memorial at 7 p.m.