Score: Roanoke 11 | Summit 3
Records: Roanoke 12-2 | Summit 1-6
Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C.
The Lead: Roanoke defeated Summit 11-3 Monday in day one of the Cal Ripken Experience in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
How it Happened:
- After giving up a run in the first, Roanoke tied it up as Sean Guida singled and stole two bases before Collier Donald recorded a sac fly to score Guida and make it a 1-1 game.
- The Maroons tacked on six more runs in the second as RC drew seven walks with two more reaching on hit by pitch results. In his second at bat of the inning, Eli Sumpter recorded an RBI with a sac fly scoring Drew Mikula for a 7-1 lead.
- RC added one more in the third as Will Black reached on a Defender error and was driven in by another sac fly from Donald.
- Summit closed the gap with one run in the fourth following a walk followed by back-to-back singles from Benjamin Hulburt and Joe Chupick. In the fifth, Summit added what proved to be its final run of the game with a single from Andreas Bailey, an RC error and an RBI single from Nick Chupick making it 8-3.
- Roanoke responded with three runs in the bottom of the fifth highlighted by a single from Black, a sac fly from Donald and double from Craig Kiley to make it 11-3.
- Matt Henderlite earned the win going 6.0 innings on the day to move to 4-0 on the season while Michael Mares went the final 3.0 for the Maroons giving up no runs.
Up Next: Roanoke will face Lehman at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday in day two of the Cal Ripken Experience in Myrtle Beach, S.C.