Score: Frostburg State 9, Roanoke 8
Records: Roanoke 2-1 | Frostburg State 1-2
Location: Salem Memorial Stadium | Salem, Va.
The Lead: The Maroons fell 9-8 to the Bobcats in the series finale of opening weekend Sunday afternoon in Salem, Va.
How it Happened:
- RC was led by Will Decker who went 3-for-5 with a pair of doubles while Craig Kiley drove in three runs and Sam Watson drove in two. FSU was led by Matt Bougourd with four RBIs while Matt Jeffery and Nick Bass each had two RBIs on the day. Colton Sivic went 2-for-5 with a triple.
- Frostburg State jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the top of the first as Jeffery put the Bobcats on the board with a two-run double down the left field line. Bougourd tacked on two more runs with a single to left center before Nick Bass closed the top of the inning with a double through the left side bringing in three runs.
- Decker started a three-run inning with a double in the bottom of the third before Watson drove Decker and Kiley in with a single to center. Dan Brodeur tacked on the final run of the inning with a single to right-center making it 7-3 FSU.
- In the fourth inning, Frostburg State scored two runs off a Bougourd double to take a 9-3 lead. RC responded with one run in the bottom of in the inning as Kiley drove in Sean Guida with a single through the left side.
- With two-outs in the bottom of the fifth, Roanoke score four runs sparked by a Decker double plating Guida. Kiley hit a two-RBI single followed by a Drew Mikula double, driving in Kiley for the final run of the inning, cutting the deficit to 9-8 FSU.
- In the ninth, Rawlings Cumbea retired the side but the Maroons were unable to push a run across in the bottom of the ninth despite a lead-off single by Cody Shell.
- Trenton Eirich picked up the win for the Bobcats allowing no runs and no hits in 2.1 innings of work. Garrett Wiles earned the save in allowing only two hits while striking out two in 2.0 innings. Starter Forrest Wagner was tagged with the loss for the Maroons giving up six runs off four hits on the day.
Up Next: Roanoke heads to Danville, Va. on Wednesday for a 2 p.m. match-up against Averett.